Veterans Affairs Benefits

Fuller Theological Seminary is committed to working with veterans, members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and their dependents to assist them in taking full advantage of their educational benefits. This site is designed to answer your questions and provide you with guidance on how the benefit process works at Fuller.

(If you are looking for Military Tuition Assistance, AmeriCorps, or other Non-VA Benefits, please go here.)

How does the VA benefits process work at Fuller?

  1. Be admitted to the seminary.
  2. Go to to the VA Benefits site either apply to use your benefits for the first time or to transfer your benefits to Fuller from a previous school.
  3. Students in California must submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA (sample form) to Student Financial Services. Students outside of California must submit the form to their Regional Campus office.
  4. Register for classes.
  5. California students must complete and submit the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form. This form must be submitted every quarter in which you want to use your benefits.
  6. Fuller then certifies your enrollment and tuition and fees online with the VA.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my benefits and eligibility?

Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-442-4551 or visit their website at if you have specific questions about your benefits and eligibility.

Who should I contact at Fuller to submit my paperwork and answer any of my certification questions?

Students enrolled in degree programs at a California campus should contact Student Financial Services at or 626-584-5421.

Students enrolled in degree programs at a non-California campus should contact their regional campus office. (Note: MAGL students should contact the Colorado campus.)

What should I do if I drop or add a class after submitting the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form?

If you drop or add a class, please notify Fuller immediately. Fuller is required to notify the VA of any and all registration changes, even if a student merely replaces one class with another and remains enrolled in the same number of units.

What should I do if I change my degree program?

If you change your degree program, please notify Fuller immediately. Failure to do so may result in the termination of your benefits as Fuller is required to report all degree changes to the VA.

What should I do if I am no longer eligible for benefits?

If you are no longer eligible to receive benefits or have exhausted your benefits, please notify Fuller.

What are the requirements for maintaining my benefits eligibility?

In order to remain eligible for benefits, you are required to maintain Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress throughout the entirety of your degree program. In the event that you fail to meet these standards, you will be placed on probation. After being placed on probation, you have two consecutive terms of enrollment within which you need to meet the standard. If you fail to do so, you will be ineligible to receive VA benefits until you have successfully re-met the standards.

If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you may be subject to academic dismissal and thus would be ineligible to use your benefits at Fuller.

What tuition charges and fees am I responsible to pay by the payment deadline each quarter?

You are responsible only for the portion of tuition and fees not covered by your benefits. This amount is subject to the seminary's payment and late fee policies.

How does Fuller receive payment for my tuition and fees?

Payment for Ch. 33/Post-9/11 and Vocational Rehabilitation tuition benefits is sent directly to Fuller via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). You can monitor your student account each week to see if payment has arrived. If payment has not arrived by week 5 of the quarter, you should follow up with the VA. If you qualify for the Basic Housing Allowance (BAH), it will be mailed directly to you or sent via direct deposit if you selected this option during the application process.

Payment for Ch. 30 and Ch. 35 benefits is sent directly to you.

First-time recipients typically receive their benefits in 6-8 weeks. Continuing students typically receive their benefits in 3 weeks.

(626) 584-5200
(800) 235-2222
135 N. Oakland Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91182